Matt Balmford is a public sector consultant providing policy, strategic, economic and financial analysis and advice, focusing on the interface between the government, private and community sectors.
His consulting work spans policy reform, strategy development, program design, evaluation, business cases, industry analysis, cost benefit analysis, financial analysis, regulation, governance and public sector management. Sector experience includes industry development, transport, agriculture, health, employment, emergency management, natural resources, tourism, heritage and arts & culture.
Matt previously held senior roles in Australian Government and Victorian Government departments. He has extensive experience conducting sensitive consultation with government, business and community stakeholders, including through interviews, workshops and surveys. He has developed and advised on monitoring, evaluation and reporting frameworks across numerous projects.
Matt has also contributed as a Board member for several not-for-profit organisations.
- Data analytics
- Economic and market analysis
- Financial modelling
- Regulatory and cost benefit analysis
- Strategy and business cases
- Arts, culture and recreation
- Climate and environment
- Economic development
- Energy and decarbonisation
- Health and wellbeing
- Infrastructure and transport
- Primary industries
- Property and housing
- Public sector policy and finance
- Science & innovation
- State, regional and local government
Qualifications & accolades
- Master of Public Policy with Distinction, Australian National University
- Master of Management, Australian National University
- Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Economics, Monash University
- Member, Australian Evaluation Society
Recent work highlights include:
- Review of Victorian Government program to build capacity for resilient small businesses through embedding mental health consultants in business peak bodies and industry organisations
- Evaluation of Victorian Government program to support energy efficiency knowledge and uptake in agriculture
- Strategic analysis, cost-benefit analysis and financial analysis to contribute to detailed business cases for several major NSW Government cultural and social infrastructure proposals
- Strategic comparison of legislative and regulatory approaches to animal welfare, primary production food safety and biosecurity to inform Victorian Government reform directions
- Evaluation and strategic review of Victorian Government public transport discounts for international students
- Evaluation of Victorian Government program to generate sustainable employment for vulnerable persons